Friday, March 29, 2024

 Ms. Bocquin here - It has been about 24 hours since we arrived back in California. The cold weather feels strange compared to the heat of Cambodia. 

On our last full day in Cambodia, we traveled from the village of Banteay Chhmar back to Siem Reap. Once there, we relaxed and enjoyed the Phare circus. We were amazed by the athleticism, grace, and charisma of the performers as they told a story of reconciliation.

On the last day we also had a time to reflect and share about our experiences. Here are some of the things that were shared:

Arjun: "A goal I have when I return is to be more grateful for the things I have and not take things for granted."

Atticus: "I learned that Cambodia is a rich country with a long history and really hot weather."

August: I learned about the main values of Buddhism. (paraphrase)

Brendan: "Something I learned about Khmer classical dance is that the different hand gestures describe different parts of a tree."

Bridget: "I learned the difference between my physical and mental abilities."

Edge: "One thing I thought was cool about Siem Reap is that nothing can be taller than Angkor Wat."

Elizabeth: "A goal [I have] is to be a responsible traveler."

Hayden: "My favorite memory was riding the tuk tuk early in the morning for the sunrise [at Angkor Wat]."

Julia: "My favorite memory was getting a necklace from one of the vendors as a gift."

Justin: "My highlight was the interview with Chef Nak."

Katie: "My highlight was the wheelchair workshop."

Maddie: "My favorite memory on this trip was the Cambodian Living Arts portion."

Mia: "My highlight was the magic music bus."

Mimi: "My highlight was the homestay and playing with the children at the homestay."

Oliver: "The highlight of mine was the cooking class."

Ronen: "I love Siem Reap because of the temples."

Zan: "My favorite memory was getting to know the host family."

Ms. Bocquin: "My highlight was the temple ruins in Banteay Chhmar- I could have spent hours there."

Ms. Hamilton: "Something I learned about Angkor Wat is that they did all those carvings using little rocks [as chisels]."

Ms. Tomokiyo: "My favorite memory was watching the students in the fields planting and harvesting."


It was a wonderful trip!